The Patient Experience Journal (PXJ) Awards celebrate powerful contributions to the literature and articles of impact in research and practice and introduce rising stars who are working to expand evidence and insights on patient experience and the human experience in healthcare. Identified from the articles published in PXJ and selected by the Editorial Board based on criteria noted below, award recipients represent the rigor, thoughtfulness and vision seen in all the pieces published in the journal. PXJ remains committed to elevating the work of our authors and honoring the interest of our readers by bringing together a broad and comprehensive selection of cutting-edge articles from around the world. Award recipients are celebrated every year at The Beryl Institute's Elevate PX.
PXJ Awards Categories and Recipients
The awards recognize papers in the following categories (a full review of the awards and criteria can be reviewed here). Please note PXJ Awards recognize recipients from the volume (year) prior, so for example, 2022 awards are presented in early 2023. Award recipients include:
ARTICLE OF THE YEAR
- 2022 (Volume 9): Which patient experiences are you capturing? Investigating differences in patient experience drivers by race/ethnicity and survey mode
- 2021 (Volume 8): The influence of COVID-19 visitation restrictions on patient experience and safety outcomes: A critical role for subjective advocates
- 2020 (Volume 7): Patient feedback: Listening and responding to patient voices
- 2019 (Volume 6): “Anyone can co-design?”: A case study synthesis of six experience-based co-design (EBCD) projects for healthcare systems improvement in New South Wales, Australia
BEST ARTICLE - EMERGING SCHOLAR. Lead author has completed a doctorate within the last 5 years.
- 2022 (Volume 9): Rules of engagement: The role of mistreatment from patients in the nurse, physician and advanced practice provider experience
- 2021 (Volume 8): Using design-thinking to investigate and improve patient experience
- 2020 (Volume 7): Cancer patient perspectives during the COVID-19 pandemic: A thematic analysis of cancer blog posts
- 2019 (Volume 6): Engaging under- and/or never-engaged populations in health services: A systematic review
BEST ARTICLE - PRACTITIONER. Lead author is a professional from a healthcare delivery organization.
- 2021 (Volume 8): The effect of service excellence training: Examining providers' patient experience scores
- 2019 (Volume 6): Using experience-based design to understand the patient and caregiver experience with delirium
MOST IMPACTFUL ARTICLE. Selected from all articles published over the last five volumes.<
- 2022 (Across Volumes): Barriers and enablers of patient and family centred care in an Australian acute care hospital: Perspectives of health managers
- 2021 (Across Volumes): Healthcare providers versus patients' understanding of health beliefs and values
- 2020 (Across Volumes): Relationship-centred care in health: A 20-year scoping review
- 2019 (Across Volumes): Patient partnership in quality improvement of healthcare services: Patients’ inputs and challenges faced